Monday, January 5, 2009

Polishing the Résumé


A recent visitor comments,
I find that TFA attracts those who want to polish their resume. Most of them aren't really passionate and care about inner-city/urban issues. Most of them BS the interview process and just cause they're from "Harvard", they get into TFA!
I have had that thought, actually, having read a variety of stories and commentary by participants. It reminds me of how back in my college days (and possibly through the present) certain students, graduating from elite universities but without the academic credentials necessary to get into the graduate programs of their choice, would spend a couple of years in the Peace Corps. Whatever the motivation for participating, the de facto "quid pro quo" can be a win-win for the public service group and the student. Whether it benefits the targeted community? I expect that on the whole it does, although I'm sure there are some notable exceptions that, I would hope, get weeded out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes